(1) Today during the MacWorld keynote speech, Steve Jobs announced a new Airport Extreme Base Station - with "server grade" internal hard drive dubbed "Time Capsule." The new base station is available in two configurations:500GB - $2991TB - $499
(2) Apple announced a number of updates to the iPhone platform today. iPhone SDK Release scheduled for February. New Software today: Google Maps with LocationWebclips - website bookmarks on your home screen. Clips will remember where you zoomed/panned to, and you are able to create up to 9 of them.Chapter Options & Language Capability - now available in iPod mode. Multiple-Contact SMS
(3) iTunes Movie Rentals through: Touchstone, Mirimax, MGM, Lionsgate, Newline, Fox, WB, Disney, Paramount, Universal & Sony are all on board. Movies are available 30 days after the DVD release of the film. Watch anywhere - Macs, PCs, all current iPods and iPhone. Watch instantly - 30 second delay with modern broadband. Rules - 30 days to start watching, 24 hours to complete once started. Pricing - $2.99, new releases $3.99
(4) Apple TV, Take 2. The update is available as a free software update that should be available in two weeks for current AppleTV owners. Entry price for the AppleTV also drops from $299 to $229.HD rentals are $4.99, with 100 titles available today.
(5) Lastly, the Macbook Air! Features of the new portable include being "the world's thinnest notebook," at 0.16" to 0.76" - thinner than the the thinnest part of a Sony TZ series laptop. Screen size is an LED backlit 13.3" widescreen with a magnetic latch. The MacBook Air keyboard is MacBook-like, but with an ambient light sensor. The new machines feature a multi-touch trackpad, allowing the user to double-tap and move. Rotate a photo by pivoting your index finger around your thumb, as well as pinch & zoom. Additionally there's a 45 Watt MagSafe power adapter, a Micro-DVI out as well as Audio Out, 802.11n + Bluetooth 2.1/EDR. There's a 1.8" hard drive for storage - either 80GB standard, or a 64GB SSD as an option. Intel shrunk the size of the Core 2 Duo chip by 60% to fit in the new machine. Battery life is approximately 5 hours. No optical drive is on the MacBook Air, but a SuperDrive accessory is available for $99. There's also new software being released that allows the portable to "borrow" a Mac or PC's optical drive. All models feature 2GB of memory standard. The case is fully aluminum (good for recycling), the first fully mercury and lead free display, circuit boards are BFR free, and retail packaging are 56% less volume than a MacBook.The new MacBook Air starts at $1799 is available for pre-order today, and is expected to be shipping in two weeks.